Friday, July 01, 2005

Gasp! I actually took some medicine

This new medicine I'm taking is scaring me a bit already. I seem to be my happy go crazy self all the time. I'm incredibly weird and goofy and giggly and things of that sort. Not that it's a bad thing, but I just feel kind of odd that it should change how I feel so dramatically. And sadly, I don't like it. I don't feel like I'm the one who's changed things. I feel like I've given up, and the medicine is what will always make me feel good now. How do I know if I stop taking it, I won't start being all depressed again? (Oddly, this reminds me of "Stimpy's Invention" where Stimpy makes a "happy helmet" for Ren. Ren has this crazy smile on all the time and is psychotically happy, and he absolutely hates it.)

I think that's a major problem with the pharmaceutical mindset in America anyway. So many people just take their medicine to feel good, and don't give a second thought as to why they might feel bad in the first place, or if there's anything they can personally do to make themselves better. I think that it's important to take care of ourselves and I've always been a strong advocate of not putting strange substances into my body (the prescription side of which began after my tetracycline scare).

I believe in this mostly because I think it's important we stay in control of our body and minds. Who knows what we could do to ourselves and others without that control? Second, we could become reliant on those outside substances, when everything god gave us is supposed to make us feel normal in the first place. Do you know what I mean?

Yes, some people really do need those antidepressants and anxiety meds 24/7/365, I'm not talking about the people with severe problems. I'm talking about those with temporary problems who are handed prescriptions as a "cure" and go about their lives without a second glance to what they're taking or how they could have made their own lives better without the chemicals. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, eh? Maybe I just like to think that the mind is stronger than the body and that if we were happy once, maybe we could be happy again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home