Fate isn't as thought provoking as I...thought.
I've been thinking about that Ben Folds lyric, "Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice."
Though it'd really depend on your definition of the word and concept "fate." If you are a god fearing person who believes that our destinys are pre-created, already set in stone, then fate cannot even have a choice. Your "fate" as it is, is preconceived. I suppose that is more along the lines of a "destiny" than a "fate."
It could seem to me this way because it's just what I believe, but to me fate seems to me to have different options in my mind. According to Dictionary.com I seem to be true to the definition at least. Fate is more of a result when there are choices. Whatever you choose, there is your fate lying ahead, because of that choice. It seems more of a short-term part, or a part of the world that comes in pieces or one after another. There hardly seems to be one overall fate one could have. That would be a destiny.
So for those of us who believe in destiny, can we believe in Fate, too? I suppose no matter what choices we make, our fate will lead us to our destiny. Kind of like those "choose your own adventure" books. There are innumerable amounts of choices, and when you make a choice - your fate changes, now there are paths you can no longer walk down, but others that you still can! And eventually, let's imagine they all lead to one in the same ending, you reach the destiny. You are destined to get from point A to point B, but you can walk the path that you choose.
And like the song says, you can't choose a wrong or right fate for yourself. The word fate has no preconceived notion of good or bad. (Well actually I lie, one of it's definitions is an unfavorable outcome). However, whatever choice you make - if you did make a wrong or right choice, you're going to end up with your fate - the consequences of your decision.
Hmmm, this doesn't seem as thought-provoking written as it felt when I was thinking it all, but then I suppose anything's thought-provoking when you're on the job. Anyway, it's a free-write, so I'm not going to let it go to waste.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home